Spring means the start of nutritious and delicious Ontario fruits and vegatables. Asparagus, fiddleheads and rhubarb are all ready at the farm and available fresh to you. Need some help when selecting, storing and preparing?
- Look for crisp, bright green spears with tightly closed tips
- To store, stand spears in 1 inch water OR wrap ends with damp paper towel. Cover & refridgerate up to 4 days.
- To prepare, rinse, remove tough ends of stems, and eat as a snack or use in your favorite recipe!
- Fern that is found in riverbeds and on the forest floor (and in the produce section at Downey’s)
- Keep refridgerated until ready to use
- Wash carefully and rub to remove brown skin on outside. Boil or steam. Use melted butter, vinegar or try a new recipe!
- Look for firm, crisp stalks
- Refridgerate unwashed, covered for up to 1 week [or freeze for up to 1 year].
- To prepare, remove leaves as they are inedible. Rinse stalks well and cook.
Now that you have some tips when selecting fresh Spring produce, it’s time to start cooking! I love Foodland Ontario Website for great recipes. Happy Cooking!